243 New homes on former hospital site
dha secured permission on behalf of Berkeley Homes Ltd (Eastern Counties) for a residential led, mixed use development comprising 243 No. residential dwellings, 4046 sq m of office space and 1100 sq m of school facilities, on land previously occupied by the Kent and Sussex Hospital. The application was subject to significant liaison with Tunbridge Wells Borough Council, with a series of officer led meetings and design workshops held prior to submission. The scheme evolved significantly during this time with dha and Berkeley Homes reacting and adapting to comments made in a positive and constructive manner. It was necessary to negotiate on issues relating to affordable housing, Primary School places, housing ratios, and a departure from the local plan with regards to commercial allocation.
A Public Exhibition was also held and an online consultation portal set up to ensure public consultation continued throughout the planning process. Tunbridge Wells Borough Council granted approval following Committee in December 2012 within the 13 weeks.
The K&S hospital originally opened in the 1930s, but became unfit for purpose in late 2010 and was subsequently closed in September 2011 following the completion of the Tunbridge Wells Hospital at Pembury. The hospital facilities have since relocated to the new Pembury Hospital with the redundant hospital buildings soon to be demolished.
For more information please contact Matthew Woodhead or David Hicken.