The New NPPF
The final version of the Government’s revised National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) has now been published and has come into immediate effect, replacing the earlier 2012 version.
The draft is very similar to the version published for consultation in March earlier this year, bringing into effect the new standardised method of calculating housing need, guidance on viability assessments and revised policies on how local authorities can amend Green Belt boundaries in their local plans.
Other changes include:
- Reinstatement of references to garden city principles, which had been removed in the earlier consultation version;
- Inclusion of social rent and affordable rent within the revised definition of affordable housing;
- Clarity that a flexible approach is to be taken when defining “major development” in AONBs;
- A requirement for 10% of housing requirements to be met on small and medium sites - a watering down of the previously announced policy; and
- Greater support for new overnight lorry parking provision.
If you would like to know how the revised NPPF might affect your development plans, please contact any of DHA's expert team of planning consultants.